Latest Entries »

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

man's natural state


man's natural state is fear
certainly those who clutch religion
certainly those who cling childhood
and those using “man's” to mean human's

but fear:

is an awareness
a truth, a motivator, a life preserver
a consciousness, a sense of being,
a reminder

is a contradiction
fearing alone, fearing hordes
fearing loss, fearing gain
fearing love, fearing hate

is a struggle
relief from pain is an unexpected joy
something you can't know if you don't fear
something you can't fear if you don't know

is not cowardice
cowardice is not knowing
a state of being unnatural
inhuman.

death is the ultimate fear
but why do we fear life
we are the living dead
and death is our reality

yet we linger still in morbidity
and can't cope with immortality
because that's overwhelming
the heart could not endure

and in fearing, in living, in being
we are humbled and satiated
as our little secret is everyone fears
so why not us

2 thoughts:

Rebecca said...

It is true, everyone does fear and has fears. Of course, I guess it depends on how one deals with fear that comes into question. Some of us deal with it better than others and some of us just don't deal with it at all. Fear can easily turn into sadness, anger, hate, depression, anxiety... or even a combination of all of those things and sometimes even at the same time. Imagine how that feels? It only puts more fear into one's heart.

Thinking of relief of the pain of life as an unexpected joy is probably the best perspective I can agree with. Trying to find a constant state of happiness doesn't seem attainable. Life is not beautiful. Whoever said that lied.

Your poetry always sits with me for days and I think about them a lot after I read one you've written. You change a part of my thinking every time you write one. I love that. I wish you wrote more. I check your page every day. And yes, I can be considered a stalker. Does that put fear in you?

- xox -

Peter said...

you being my only stalker does put the fear of death in me, yes. but i'm glad it's you, because you say i change your thinking. now if i could only get you to change mine...but i guess i should be careful what i ask for ;) thank you and be brave.