Latest Entries »

Friday, June 18, 2010

summers me

you're like a summer breeze on the winter of life
if even for a tender moment
i can smell the sweet lilacs through your hair
and hear the soothing sound of the swallows
feel the warm embrace of a weeping willow
and the beckoning of the beauty of nature's breasts
and then you leave me
floating away on the wind that brought you here
like a single snowflake returned to winter's chill
rendering my fleeting dream frozen in time
until once again your soft caress summers me

4 thoughts:

Rebecca said...

like a summer breeze on the winter of life...

what more could someone want in the middle of a cold, hard winter than a beautiful, warm summer breeze? such beauty in those words... i know this feeling... someone who lifts your spirits when all else seems so cold and dark.

Oh and how I love lilacs. They are my favorite flower. (I missed them this Spring. I am so disgusted, but I won't get into that here!)

and then you leave me
floating away on the wind that brought you here


Why does she leave? Does she have to go? Oh I don't want her to go.

This poem starts off so hopeful and promising, but in the middle it seems to rip one's heart out. I do see hope again at the end, at least.

I must go cry into a pillow now.

I love poetry that reflects on the seasons. Beautifully written. You have such a way with words and pulling imagery out that just takes one on a journey... or at least it does for me. It's not difficult for me to leave my mind, though. :-) Thank you for this. I loved it.

Christine said...

You always include my favorite elements of nature in your writes, and that's why I love them. Summer breezes, willow trees and lilacs... *sigh*

This is so fantastic. It invokes much emotion and imagery.

Rebecca said...

I feel the same way you do, Christine. I love Weeping Willows (my favorite tree) and I love Lilacs (my favorite flower), and who doesn't love a soft summer breeze? I swear his poetry takes you to a place far, far away and you don't want to return.

Unknown said...

Aaahhhh, Peter, this one is so good. I love how the sweetness of "summer" cancels out the harsh coldness of "winter". Although I have to say I do not like the leaving part....